Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Kent State Massacre

TIN SOLDIERS AND NIXON'S COMING

For me, this date will live forever. I suspect for many of those in my generation who were paying attention,  May 4, 1970  will join those dates ever etched in our brains-  November 22, 1963April 4, 1968, June 6, 1968 and so on.

I was in Spain at the time. On my way to University. I was 18 years old.  I passed a kiosk early on the morning of May 5, 1970. One of those kiosks you see where newspapers and chewing gum, cigarettes and lottery tickets are sold-with newspapers clipped on a string by clothespins, like flags on a line. One picture seemed to be on the cover of just about every magazine and newspaper. I looked and looked again because I could tell that boy laying face down and the girl kneeling next to him were American kids. When I read what it was all about, I immediately slipped into a surreal state of horror and shock.  Oh my God, they are shooting peaceful protesters. My life changed for good that day.

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young "OHIO" (click)



Vietnam Veterans Against the War
March on the 20th Anniversary of 
The Kent State Massacre


Led by the late Bill Davis, VVAW
1948 - 2007
RIP Soldier of Peace





No comments:

Post a Comment